Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dirt

See it? Look closer. To the left of the wheel. There it is, a ziploc bag of dirt!

Allow me to explain...
Anyone heard of Colt McCoy? In no shape or form am I a sports enthusiast, but I do remember hearing a story years ago that caught my attention. Back when McCoy played for the University of Texas I saw a story about him on ESPN. Turns out McCoy was born in New Mexico, but his dad made sure he was born on Texas soil by placing a shoe box of Texas dirt underneath his wife's hospital bed. I thought that was awesome! (How I remember that story, but can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, I will never understand.) Fast forward 5 years.

My husband is from North Carolina, and I pretend to be from North Carolina. Both of our hearts are deeply rooted there along with our family and friends. I could go on and on about our love for the south, and particularly the Tar Heel State, but I don't have long before Baby Gray wakes up for her upteenth meal of the day. So, our new little baby was going to be born in Virginia (nothing against VA, it's just not NC) and that means one of my tasks to accomplish before her due date was to get ahold of some NC soil.
One evening I was on the phone with our dear, sweet friend Judy and she made the mistake of asking if there was anything she could do for us. Why yes there was! I told her we needed her to send us some dirt. She understood the importance of the task and was on it. And boy did she deliver. Not only was our baby girl born on NC soil, but Watauga County soil, and even better... Appalachian State University soil!! From what I hear Judy and a particular Vice Chancellor collected the dirt on campus.
You better believe placing that bag of dirt under the bed was the first thing J did when we got into the delivery room.

And there you have it Graycen, you were born on super special NC soil, ASU soil. Can you say scholarship? No pressure. :-)

Thank you Judy!!

- Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment